- 100 gms chicken (boneless or with bones, whichever way you prefer)
- 1 large onion chopped into large pieces
- a few curry leaves
- 1 large potato chopped into large pieces
- 1 carrot chopped into large pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 4 to 6 pepper corns
- 2 to 3 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 a cube of chicken soup (or 1/2 cup chicken stock)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- salt to taste
The coconut oil brings out the characteristic flavor of this recipe. Heat the coconut oil in a wok and throw in the cinnamon, cloves and peppercorns. Saute for half a minute.
Add the onions. Cook them till they are soft, but not till they turn brown. Add the chillies, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste, chicken pieces and potatoes. Saute for two minutes, and then cover and cook for a further five minutes.
Remove the cover, and add the carrots and a cup of water. Add the soup cube to the stew and cook well for three to four minutes.
Now add the coconut milk and salt. Bring the stew to a boil. Now turn the heat down and simmer once again for a few minutes.
Serve hot with rice!