- 2 cups peeled and chopped pumpkin
- 1 onion chopped into large pieces (or shallots)
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 large tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tsp jaggery
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (aniseed)
- salt to taste
Heat oil in a wok and add the onions and garlic. Saute till the garlic gives of a nice roasted aroma and the onions have slightly browned. Now add the pumpkin pieces, red chilli powder, turmeric, and coriander powder and salt and saute covered for 5 minutes.
After five minutes, add the tamarind paste, tomatoes and half a cup of water and cook covered for 10 to 15 minutes or till the pumpkin has half cooked.
Now remove the cover and add the jaggery and aniseed to it. Cook for a further 2 minutes and serve hot!