- 2 cups peeled and chopped bottle gourd (doodhi)
- 1 cup red lentils, washed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 4 dry red chillies
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander, to garnish
Pressure cook the bottle gourd and red lentils with 1 cup water, salt and turmeric powder.
Open the pressure cooker after the steam has escaped and keep the cooked bottle gourd and lentils aside.
Heat the oil in a wok, and add the cumin seeds. Once they begin changing color, add the fenugreek seeds, red chillies, and one pinch of asafoetida. Add the ginger, and pour the cooked dal into this tempering.
Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder. Bring the curry to a boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot!