Here are some of my thoughts about kicking tobacco addiction.
Since everybody knows about the ill effects of tobacco, whether chewed or smoked, I don’t want to elaborate on that.
The question is, “Why do people find it very hard to leave the habit?”
It is because after smoking/chewing tobacco,the body releases a chemical substance called Dopamine. This substance gives the KICK. As soon as the levels of dopamine start falling the body starts craving for more.Hence the person takes another puff.
As we all know there are many aids to help a person quit tobacco, but they are only effective if you really WANT to do it.
Here are some tips to help you give up the habit,
- Admit to yourself that you are an addict.I know it takes a sheer willpower to do that,but this is a FIRST STEP if you want to leave the habit.
- Seek help of your near and dear ones. Your family members and friends can be of great help, to keep you motivated and remind you when you forget.
- Take the guidance of a counsellor if required. They can offer you professional help.
- Eat lots of fruits and healthy food.
- Drink at least 10 glasses of water everyday. Water detoxifies the body faster.
- Suck on some lemon drops whenever you feel the urge.
- Engage yourself in some hobby.
- Most importantly, stay focused and stay positive. Meditate for an hour each day. Remember and be grateful for all things wonderful in your life.
You will soon realize that you can perform the same or even better without tobacco and that you can de-stress yourself as effectively.
Dr. Leena Korgaonkar